Tuesday, June 13, 2017

North Korea and the EMP threat.

I notice that anytime the subject of an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) is brought up, anyone within earshot is likely to give the thought an eyeroll.

I myself have commonly avoided discussing EMP possibilities with non-preppers because it immediately turns them off to the discussion. They simply do not consider it to be a possibility. Problem is, they don't really consider ANYTHING to be a possibility. So when I discuss prepping with non-preppers, I usually stick to hurricanes and other things they may have actually already experienced.

But, it might be time to start thinking about EMPs again. A while back I mentioned that North Korea may be fairly close to being capable of hitting the US with a nuke. But you know what's even easier than actually hitting someone with a nuke? Hitting them with an EMP. You don't need such a large device and you don't actually have to score a direct hit.

The North Koreans will probably be capable of an EMP strike before the year is over, if they're not already.

An EMP strike is not one of those gradual SHTF scenarios. It's a "here and now" situation, where everything stops right then. Water, power, medical, food, radio, cars, etc. Have a gun safe with an electronic lock, like I do? Replace the lock or leave the safe open when you're at home (be watchful to keep your kids out of it).

SWFS (Shelter, water, food, security, in that order).

3 comments:

  1. One of the reasons why I bought a safe with a dial combination lock is because of the possibility of an EMP happening. Also because electronic locks tend to fail more often than dial combination locks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're correct. In most cases, manual equipment is more reliable than electronic.

    I bought my safe (Winchester) on a deal that was too good to pass up, even though the lock is electronic only. The safe stays cracked open when we are at home, and my wife and I both keep our sidearms WITH US at all times. We keep the defensive rifle close by as well. Ammo is stored separately and outside of the safe.

    I have read that small, simple electronic devices MIGHT survive EMP strikes, but I wouldn't chance it.

    Side note: EMP is a good reason to leave those iron sights on your weapons. I expect that EOTech and Aimpoint electronic sights might not survive an EMP. Regardless, the factories that build those CR123 batteries surely won't survive the blast, and neither will the trucks that transport those batteries to the store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is also good to keep your safe open for a period of time to keep the moisture inside the safe from building up. A safe should be opened and aired out for at least 20 minutes every two weeks.

      http://www.authoritysafes.com/moisture-in-safe.html

      Delete